Alvor is a busy little town near the more developed town of Portimão. It has a modern Marina, good shops and some superb restaurants. The narrow streets have a quaint feel and the fishing industry still dominates. In a prominent position on a hill, overlooking the Atlantic, is the towns castle, considered a significant military monument in the Algarve, with its history linked to nearby Silves.
The originally 16th Century Parish Church was one of the few buildings to survive more or less intact after the earthquake of 1755 and its main doorway is a prime example of the great craftsmanship of the Manueline era of architecture. There is a good leisure centre near the fisherman’s dock for rainy days. The river of Alvor is popular with canoeists, fisherman and other water sports and the beaches are long and clean.